Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Six years together!

Six years ago, on July 4, PG and I were married. It's hard to believe that it's been six years already. We've been together as a couple for a whole decade. Wow. We were thinking back to when we met...my sisters were 8 and 10 years old. Now they are a freshman and junior in college. We met 2 days before classes began my freshman year. My friend Crystal and I (who had just met and become fast friends the night before at the Wesley Foundation open house) were walking through our dorm trying desperately to figgure out how to translate the bus schedule. Crystal spotted PG down the hall and said a sentence that would change my life forever: "Hey! He looks like an upper classman. Lets ask him!" I don't think my mother in law will ever forgive her...*snicker*

I was dating someone at the time, but PG - with all the suaveness of a future psychiatrist - convinced my boyfriend to break it off with me. Granted, my boyfriend had confided in PG that he really had liked me better as a friend and wanted to be free to date in college, but I was not told that part of the story for years to come. PG jumped in as my rebound guy and assured me that he was "only looking for a casual relationship...nothing long term". 10 years and 2 kids later, I love to remind him of that.

Where would we be now if we had never met? Well, at the time I was planning to be a medical missionary in Africa or some other far off land. I was so head over heels in love with PG by the end of our first semester, though, that I bunked my plans to transfer to a divinity college and just stayed at ECU so I could be near him. Apart from living worlds apart, we also wouldn't have our beautiful boys, so I guess God works everything out in the end.

To celebrate our anniversary this year, we invited Crystal (who I'm still best friends with) and her husband and children over to spend the night. We ate delicious food, and then watched the fireworks here in Farmville. I love to pretend they are shooting them off just for us. Then we got the boys in bed and played D&D until the wee hours of the morning, went to sleep, woke up Saturday and played all day. We had a blast. Who needs an expensive trip or gift to celebrate your anniversary? We spent ours with our match maker and our families and enjoyed every minute of it (besides, having company over is great motivation to get the house clean!)

Happy anniversary, dear. My prayer is that we have MANY more ahead of us!

No comments: