Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Thursday, May 7, 2009

You're a what?

I've quickly found out how few people in my sphere know what a doula is. When I say that I'm a doula, or that I'm getting certified as a doula, very rarely do I see someone's eyes light up with recognition (and when I do, it tickles me pink!). More often, the response is a furrowed brow with their head cocked to one side, asking me "A what?" or "You said you do what, again?" Or, as my pastor said..."A doula? Is that anything like a diva?"

Having answered the question as many times as I have, I've generally found it easier to just go with the short answer.

The short answer is: a labor assistant.

The long answer...the REAL answer...is so much more. Part childbirth educator, part massage therapist, part mother to the mother, part medicalese translator, part councelor, part therapist, part lactation consultant, part waitress...these are just some of the roles of a doula. We support. We encourage. We empower a woman to not only decide what type of birth she wants, but help her to take responsibility for her choices so that she can take all the credit for the outcome instead of handing it over to her midwife or doctor. After all, she is the one doing all the work!

I found a neat video on YouTube that was done by a group in Wilmington. I think it accurately shows why every woman deserves a doula. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHkDBx-9EQ

No comments: