Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Neighbors helping neighbors

We had a tragedy on our street this week: the home of one of my neighbors burned down. This family - husband, wife, and 1yr old son - live about three houses down and across the street from me. Sadly I don't know their names. We've lived this close to them for 3 years now, but have only waved to them in passing. What a horrible way to meet your neighbors, huh? I stopped and talked to them for a moment yesterday as we walked home from Wednesday night church. The poor woman was just in tears in the front yard. How hard it must be to know you lost everything material that was important to you. Baby books, picture albums, old Mother's Day cards, family heirlooms, wedding dress...all gone in a flash.

Thankfully, no one was hurt. The father is a fire chief and was in Hyde Co fighting the wildfire there, and the mother and son got out safely. I do believe the lost their dog, though. Poor thing. When I talked to her yesterday and asked her what they needed, she said everything...towels, sheets, clothes. What must it be like to not be able to take a shower because you don't have a towel to dry off with nor clothes to put on afterwards?

I've put the word out to my Natural Mamas group and my church to try to find some things for them. I was hoping I would see them outside again today so I could talk to her more in depth, find out her name, introduce myself properly, and get more details about what they need and where to take things. I don't know these people, but it just seems like the neighborly thing to do. It's what Jesus would do, right? Do unto the least of these. This family, newly homeless, without anything of value but their lives. Do they know Christ? Do they have His peace through this? Or are they feeling alone and vulnerable? Will they see His Light through my actions?

There are opportunities to help our neighbors all around us: volunteering at the soup kitchen or the local Boys and Girls Club, teaching Sunday School or VBS, donating food to the food pantry, or just helping gather items for a family in need. We are poor, we can barely pay our bills, but helping the least of these doesn't require spending money. Sometimes it just requres good listening skills or a bit of time or willingness to get dirty. Being a Christian isn't about sitting back and saying "Oh those poor people...what a shame", being a Christian is about helping pick up the pieces and comforting the hurting, even if it makes you uncomfortable. I'm very bad at confrontation...and I always get nervous when I am talking to someone I don't know. But I'm going to push through past my comfort zone and go talk to this family. Offer my help and a supper or two, find out their needs, and hopefully show them the love of Jesus through His willing servant.

Prayers / Praises for the day:

Please pray for this dear family as they try to rebuild their lives. And Praise God that they were not injured!

Praise God that my husband got a great report from his doctor today...he's lost over 30 lbs and his HDL went from 14 to 40, while his LDL went from 120 to 80-something!!!

God Bless!

No comments: